These are the best day walks in New Zealand. They will give you inspiration and wet your appetite for adventure. These beautiful walks are regarded as some of the best the world has to offer, enjoy.
The Magical Treks of New Zealand
Hooker Valley Track – Stunning mountainous scenery is in abundance; its snow covered peaks and glaciers really add to its astounding beauty
The Mueller Hut Walk – Views of gorgeous valleys are nestled in between dramatic mountain ranges when you take this top NZ day walk
Routeburn Falls Hut – One of New Zealand’s great walks this one-day option will inspire you to return for the three-day trek. Offering breathtaking scenery simply spectacular.
Gertrude Saddle – Nowhere else will make you think Lord of the Rings like Gertrude Saddle, it is almost daunting in its unparalleled heights of wondrous mountains and peaks.
The Tongariro Walk – The great Tongariro Walk is one of New Zealand’s finest and most awe-inspiring day trips, a wonderland of wild, natural scenery. Simplicity meets wild isolation, here you really feel like you’re soaring above the world.
Top Day Walks in Wellington
- Butterfly Creek Walk – Wonderful views of Wellington from this path.
- The Ridge Track Walk – Serenity awaits just outside the hustle and bustle of the city on this track.
- The Mt Lowry Walk – Wander through beech and Manuka forests with this charming trail.
- The Point Howard Walk – Stunning views await with this breezy trail.
- The Eastern Hills Traverse – Get high up above the city and amongst pristine natural wonderland on this trail. Challenging but achievable.
- Mount Kaukau – The best views of Wellington are from this day walk, but don’t worry, you’ll feel you’re miles away from civilisation due to its peaceful isolation.
- The Skyline Walk – Rolling terrain is in abundance in this truly New Zealand day walk.
- The Onepoto Loop Track – Also great for bike riding, the Onepoto Loop Track is a must for those visiting Wellington.
- The Paekakariki Escarpment Walk – A bit more on the adventurous side, you will be traversing steep hills and bridges on this adrenaline pumping track.
- Atiwhakatu Valley, Mt Holdsworth – Beautiful, untouched forest surrounds you with this incredible trail just outside of Wellington.
- Climbing Mt Holdsworth – Majestic views await you on this challenging day walk.
- Colonial Knob – Get a taste of Wellington’s western hills from this walk.
- Field Hut – History awaits you on this historic walk.
- Belmont Trig Walk – This scenic walk is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- The Orongorongo Track – Surrounded by native trees and plants this incredible walk is just 45 minutes from Wellington City.
Day Walks In The Bay of Island’s
- The Full Circle Day Walk – This beautiful coastal walk captures the beauty of the region and show cases New Zealand’s diversity.
- The Waihoanga Gorge Kauri Walk – Surrounded by towering giants, The Puketi Forest is home to some of the largest Kauri trees in the Bay of Islands.
Feeling inspired? Don’t miss out on taking a journey through these truly mystifying walks in New Zealand. Get your hiking boots on and feel like you’re a part of Middle earth – you will not regret it!