These are the best day walks in New Zealand. They will give you inspiration and wet your appetite for adventure. These beautiful walks are regarded as some of the best the world has to offer, enjoy.
The Magical Treks of New Zealand
Hooker Valley Track – Stunning mountainous scenery is in abundance; its snow covered peaks and glaciers really add to its astounding beauty
The Mueller Hut Walk – Views of gorgeous valleys are nestled in between dramatic mountain ranges when you take this top NZ day walk
Routeburn Falls Hut – One of New Zealand’s great walks this one-day option will inspire you to return for the three-day trek. Offering breathtaking scenery simply spectacular.
Gertrude Saddle – Nowhere else will make you think Lord of the Rings like Gertrude Saddle, it is almost daunting in its unparalleled heights of wondrous mountains and peaks.
The Tongariro Walk – The great Tongariro Walk is one of New Zealand’s finest and most awe-inspiring day trips, a wonderland of wild, natural scenery. Simplicity meets wild isolation, here you really feel like you’re soaring above the world.
Top Day Walks in Wellington
- Butterfly Creek Walk – Wonderful views of Wellington from this path.
- The Ridge Track Walk – Serenity awaits just outside the hustle and bustle of the city on this track.
- The Mt Lowry Walk – Wander through beech and Manuka forests with this charming trail.
- The Point Howard Walk – Stunning views await with this breezy trail.
- The Eastern Hills Traverse – Get high up above the city and amongst pristine natural wonderland on this trail. Challenging but achievable.
- Mount Kaukau – The best views of Wellington are from this day walk but don’t worry, you’ll feel you’re miles away from civilisation due to its peaceful isolation.
- The Skyline Walk – Rolling terrain is in abundance in this truly New Zealand day walk.
- The Onepoto Loop Track – Also great for bike riding, the Onepoto Loop Track is a must for those visiting Wellington.
- The Paekakariki Escarpment Walk – A bit more on the adventurous side, you will be traversing steep hills and bridges on this adrenaline pumping track.
- Atiwhakatu Valley, Mt Holdsworth – Beautiful, untouched forest surrounds you with this incredible trail just outside of Wellington.
- Climbing Mt Holdsworth – Majestic views await you on this challenging day walk.
- Colonial Knob – Get a taste of Wellington’s western hills from this walk.
- Field Hut – History awaits you on this historic walk.
- Belmont Trig Walk – This scenic walk is the perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
- The Orongorongo Track – Surrounded by native trees and plants this incredible walk is just 45 minutes from Wellington City.
- Cattle Ridge Walk – Wonderful views and stunning scenery await you on this delightful trail.
- Mt McKerrow Walk – The Rimutaka Forest Park has a number of great day walks with Mt McKerrow up there with the best of them.
- Tauherenikau Valley Walk – The Tauherenikau Valley is one of the classic valley trips in the Tararau Forest Park. For the fit tramper this is a great day walk.
- The Whakanui Track to Catchpool Walk – This is my favourite walk in the Rimutaka Forest Park, the scenery and walking tracks are superb.
- The Dobson Loop Track – An energetic walk at the southern end of the Tararau Forest Park, just 15 minutes from Upper Hutt.
Day Walks In The Bay of Island’s
- The Full Circle Day Walk – This beautiful coastal walk captures the beauty of the region and show cases New Zealand’s diversity.
- The Waihoanga Gorge Kauri Walk – Surrounded by towering giants, The Puketi Forest is home to some of the largest Kauri trees in the Bay of Islands.
Abel Tasman Day Walks
- Bark Bay to Marahau – This wonderful day walk has stunning coastal views, with golden-sandy beaches and lush native forest. A great option if you don’t have the time for the 4-5 day tramp.
Fiordland National Park Day Walks
- Gertrude Saddle Walk – Nowhere else will make you think Lord of the Rings like Gertrude Saddle, it is almost daunting in its unparalleled heights of wondrous mountains and peaks.
- Key Summit Walk – Breathtaking landscapes, with stunning 360 degree views of some of the most spectacular scenery you will ever see anywhere in the world.
Lake Waikaremoana Day Walks
- Panekire Bluff Day Walk – This magical day walk offers stunning views and a great option if you don’t have the time for the 3-4 day trek.
- A Day Walk from Whanganui Hut to Marauiti Hut – Looking to experience the beauty of Lake Waikaremoana with a day walk this is a great one to do.
- The Marauiti Hut to Waiopaoa Hut Day Walk – Stunning scenery and the Korokoro Falls await you on this path.
Nelson Lakes National Park Day Walks
- The Mount Robert Loop – Wonderful views of Lake Rotoiti from this path.
- The Lake Rotoiti Circuit – Stunning backcountry scenery is in abundance on this fabulous walk.
Queen Charlotte Track Day Walks
- Ship Cove to Furneaux Lodge – Escape the hassle and bustle of life to the serenity of the Queen Charlotte Track.
Feeling inspired? Don’t miss out on taking a journey through these truly mystifying walks in New Zealand. Get your hiking boots on and feel like you’re a part of Middle earth – you will not regret it!
Good to see these tracks promoted,can only inspire more engagement with the outdoors.
Thanks for your feedback 🙂
You have a good site, but I do lament the loss of the term ‘tramping’ or going for a ‘tramp.’ We seem to be losing the culture of Kiwi tramping by talking about ‘trekking’ and ‘hiking’ – both foreign terms for the NZ backcountry.
Thanks for your feedback. Good point and you’re absolutely right 🙂 I’ll look at introducing the word tramping to future blogs.